To emerge as a premier Centre in Biotechnology with scientific pursuits and focusing on human values & professional ethics.
Imparting knowledge of the fundamentals of Engineering, Science and Technology in students by providing good academic environment to pursue undergraduate, Post graduate and Doctoral programmes in Biotechnology for a successful professional career.
Developing liaison with Academia, R & D institutions and Biotechnology Industry for exposure in practical aspects in engineering and solution of the industry oriented and societal problems, entrepreneurial pursuit and project management.
Inculcating interpersonal skills, team work, professional ethics, IPR and regulatory issues in students to improve their employability in changing global environment.
Promoting strong research culture in students for life – long learning.
HOD, Bio Tech. Dept.
Programme Educational Objectives(PEO's):
- Graduates will have a strong foundation in fundamentals of mathematics, physical and biological sciences, Engineering sciences, to solve problems in health care, environment, Bioprocess Engineering and food security and successfully pursue higher studies
- Graduates will have successful professional career by demonstrating good scientific and engineering breadth to comprehend the problems, conduct experiments, analyze the results and design novel products and solutions to the real life problems, promote entrepreneurship and skills in project and finance management
- Graduates will be trained in biosafety, regulatory and Intellectual Property related issues in broader social context and sustainable development, Professional ethics, communication skills, team work skills, leadership and multidisciplinary approach
- Graduates will be motivated to achieve academic excellence and pursue research to develop life – long learning in a world of constantly evolving technology
After completion of the program of study of B. Tech in Biotechnology, every
- Graduate will demonstrate knowledge in fundamentals of mathematics, science and engineering.
- Graduate will demonstrate an ability to identify, formulate and solve problems in key areas of Biotechnology – bioprocess engineering, plant biotechnology, medical biotechnology and environmental biotechnology.
- Graduate will demonstrate an ability to design and conduct experiment, analyze and interpret data in biotechnology.
- Graduate will demonstrate ability in conducting investigations to solve problems using research based knowledge and methods to provide logical conclusions
- Graduate will demonstrate skills to use modern engineering and IT tools , softwares and equipment to analyze the problems in biotechnology
- Graduate will show the understanding of impact of engineering solutions on the society to assess health, safety, legal , and social issues in biotechnology
- Graduate will demonstrate the impact of professional engineering solutions in environmental context and to be able to respond effectively to the needs of sustainable development
- Graduate will demonstrate the knowledge of Professional and ethical responsibilities
- Graduate will demonstrate an ability to work effectively as an individual and as a team member/leader in multidisciplinary areas
- Graduate will be able to critique, writing samples (abstract, executive summary, project report), and oral presentations.
- Graduate will demonstrate knowledge of management principles and apply these to financial and project management in multidisciplinary environments.
- Graduate will recognize the need of self education and ability to engage in life - long learning
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) of M. Tech Biotechnology
- To empower the students by providing necessary knowledge base, critical thinking and problem solving capabilities in the field of Biotechnology and allied fields so that they can excel in their profession, in industry, higher studies and Research & Development.
- To develop core competencies in the field of Biotechnology, so as to conduct experiments, comprehend, analyze, design and use appropriate techniques and tools to provide optimal solutions for the real life problems.
- To inculcate the responsibility to the society at large and to sensitize regulatory and Intellectual Property related issues, to improve communication skills and promote entrepreneurship with sufficient knowledge of project/ finance management techniques for ensuring their success.
- To motivate the students not only to be academically excellent but also to be sensitive to Professional ethics, to acquire leadership skills and to be life-long learners for a successful professional career.
POs OF M. Tech (BT)
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability to acquire knowledge in the frontiers areas of Biotechnology.
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability to analyze and evaluate complex engineering problems to make intellectual and creative advances in Biotechnology.
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability of problem solving skills to find optimal solutions in the core areas of Biotechnology including consideration of public health and safety, cultural, societal and environmental factors.
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability to carry out literature survey, design and conduct experiments and analyze the results using appropriate research methodologies. They should also demonstrate to contribute to scientific/technological knowledge in Biotechnology either individually or collectively.
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability to develop and use appropriate techniques and tools for prediction and modeling of various Biotechnology systems and processes.
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability to collaborate and engage in multidisciplinary tasks in scientific research.
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability to manage projects efficiently including consideration of economical and financial factors.
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability in both oral and written communications.
- Post graduate will demonstrate ability to learn independently and continuously the latest developments in his field.
- Post graduate shall acquire professional ethics and intellectual integrity in the consideration of impact of research outcomes for sustainable development of the society.
- Post graduates shall learn from mistakes and make corrective measures on their own.
Name of the course
Dr. Sesha Srinivas Vutukuru
Professor & HOD Dept of BT.
Dr. Sesha Srinivas Vutukuru is heading the Department of Biotechnology since 2011 and under his leadership faculty members of the Department secured funding from national agencies like AICTE, DBT, and ICMR worth > 75 lakhs rupees that has helped the Department to get Accreditation for B.Tech program by National Board of Accreditation under Outcome Based Education. He encouraged faculty, UG and PG students to pursue in-house R&D projects which has significantly increased the number of Research publications to 164 (100 Journal papers, 64 Conference papers) during the last 5 years. He conducted many FDP programs including Application Oriented Teaching for faculty. As the Chairman, Board of Studies, he was instrumental in designing the Curriculum for B.Tech and M.Tech programs under autonomous system. He is also member of various professional societies.
He obtained his M.Tech Biotechnology from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad and pursued PG Diploma in Patents Law from Nalsar Law University. Prior to this, he pursued M. Sc Zoology (Environmental Biology Specialization) from Sri Krishna Deva Raya University, Anantapur, India in 1990. He Completed his PhD Aquaculture (Applied Biological Science) from Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur, India in 1999.
Dr. Vutukuru has 16 years of experience in teaching, 25 years of research and consulting in the area of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology of heavy metals and Nanomaterials. He handled many core and applied courses like Animal Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Virology, Industrial and Environmental Biotechnology, Bioethics, Biosafety and IPR, Ecology and Ecotoxicology; Environmental Studies; Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology both for UG and PG programs.
Dr. Vutukuru is a Ph.D supervisor for 08 research scholars under JNTUH in the area of Biotechnology and Environmental Toxicology. He also guided more than 25 B.Tech and 10 M.Tech Student projects. He has published 42 papers (34 International 08 National papers). He presented many lead lectures and key note address in national and international Conferences. He acted as a Chair, Co-Chair for International Conferences held at Bharathiar University, Coimbatore and Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad. He successfully completed two research projects sanctioned by AICTE and DST in the area of Toxicology of Nanomaterials on Human cells lines and on Zebra Fish models worth Rs.28 lakhs and Consultancy of Rs.2.5 lakhs.
He has secured UNESCO Travel Award to present a paper in International Conference on Hydrology and Water Resources in Asia Pacific Region Japan in 2003 and Stockholm Institute of Water Travel Award to present a paper in the 12th Stockholm Water Symposium, August, 9-16, Sweden 2002. He also visited Singapore in 2003.
Dr. K. Siva Sai
Professor, Dept of BT
Professor Krovvidi Sree Rama SivaSai obtained Ph.D. in Immunology/ Microbiology from Barkatullah (Bhopal) University, Bhopal, in 1993. He completed his post doctoral studies on organ transplantation at Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, US. He also has PG Diploma in Patents Law from NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad. He has More than 30 Years of Experience in Research and Teaching. His area of Specialization: Medical Biotechnology: Immunology, Microbiology and Genetic Engineering. His areas of his interest in research are Infectious diseases, Transplantation and Autoimmune disorders
Professor Krovvidi Sree Rama SivaSai has two ongoing research projects funded by All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) in areas of Nanotoxicology and Transplantation worth about 25 lakhs. He has guided 2 Ph.D. scholars and 5 others are pursuing their doctoral studies under his supervision. He has numerous awards to his credit Young Investigator Award presented by American Society of Transplant Physicians (1998), Chicago, Illinois, USA. Travel Award (1998). ISHLT / Roche Transplant Research Fellowship Award presented by International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) in 1999, San Francisco, USA.
Dr. C. S. Rao
Professor, Dept of BT
Professor of Chemical Engineering, Dept. of Biotechnology, Sreenidhi Institute of Science and Technology, Yamnampet, Ghatkesar, Hyderabad-501301 since 2008 and Former Director, School of Biotechnology, SNIST.
Prof. C.S.Rao has obtained his Ph.D (Chem Engg) from University of Houston, Texas, U.S.A.1970 and M.S. from University of Nebraska, U.S.A.1964. He worked as Post Doctoral Fellow in University of Houston, U.S.A. Instructor, University of Honston, Texas, U.S.A 1964-1970 and Process Design Engineer: Petroleum Analytical Research Corporation, 1971-1972, Houston, U.S.A. Prior to this he completed B.Tech (Hons.) Andhra University, 1962, Recipient of Sir Arthur Cotton Gold Medal for B.Tech from Andhra University. Prof CS.Rao has Professional Experience of about 50 years in Teaching Research and consultancy in Chemical Engineering, Renewable Energy Technologies, and Environmental Pollution control; R&D Management, Administration, Educational Planning and Development, University –Industry Collaborative Programmes. He published more than 85 Research papers to his credit.
He worked as Professor of Chemical Engineering, from the prestigious Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS) Pilani, Rajasthan. Activities Include Teaching Research, educational development. Involved in many University-Industry collaborative programmes, on deputation spent: One Year (1976) : BHEL, corporate RXD, Hyderabad, Two Years(1980-1982): Development consultants(P) Ltd., Calcutta. He was Coordinator and incharge BITS-Industry.. Collaborative educational programmes, 1994-2002, Hyderabad. After his superannuation, he was academically very active and held positions as Professor of Chemical Engineering, Dean, Academics and Principal, Dr. B.V. Raju Institute of Technology, Narsapur, Medak Dist. Registered as Ph.D supervisor in Energy Systems, JNTU, Hyderabad. Guided one Ph.D student in Photovoltaics. Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering and one in Biotechnology
Dr CS Rao was Director, Sardar Patel Renewable Energy Research Institute (SPRERI), Gujarat 1986-1994: Involved in R&D in renewable energy processes and devices, technology transfer to nural areas training of manpower, consultancy to industry energy education to Women, Organized and participated in many national and international conferences, delivered invited lectures, chaired technical sessions in Renewable Energy.Invited by Parliamentary sub-committee, Govt. of India, to give expert views on solar energy in Sansad Bhavan, New Delhi, submitted 4 patents between 1991-1994 on Solar Energy and Bio energy Systems.
Dr. Lakshmana Rao
Associate Professor, Dept of BT
Dr. Lakshmana Rao Subba Sarraju has completed his M. Sc (zoology) in 1977 and Ph.D (Zoology) in 1982 from Osmania University, Hyderabad. He has got vast experience in research, industry and teaching experience of more than 30 years, He worked as Manager for R&D at Sun Pharma Advanced Research Centre (SPARC), Vadodara, Biological Research,
He has published 14 research papers in reputed international journals, 2 papers in national journals, around 4 each in international and National conferences in the areas of Infection immunity and Cancer. He is a recipient of Heiser Post-doctoral fellowship during which he worked at Laboratory for leprosy and mycobacterial research, National Institute for Medical Research (MRC), Mill hill, London, UK on T-cell hybridomas reactive to M.leprae .
Dr. S. Ramgopal Rao
Associate Professor, Dept of BT
Dr S. Ramgopal Rao completed his M.Sc from Gulbarga University in the year 1999 and was awarded with Gold medal for securing First Rank at University Level. He completed his Ph.D (Plant Biotechnology) from Gulbarga University in 2003. Dr. Ramgopal also holds a PG Diploma in Patents Law (2007) from NALSAR University of Law and MBA (2010) from Karnataka State Open University. Two Ph.D’s have been awarded under Dr. Ramgopal’s guidance and 5 students are pursuing Ph.D under him. Ramgopal is PI for One ongoing Major Research Project funded by AICTE, is Co-PI for One Major Research Project funded by DBT and has completed One Major Research Project sponsored by UGC. He has published over 18 research papers in peer reviewed national and international journals, 24 Conference presentations and guided 21 M.Tech students for their Project work.
Ramgopal joined SNIST as Assistant Professor in June 2004 and has 17 years of Teaching, Research and Administrative experience in Biology/Biotechnology.
His major research areas include Biotechnology of Oilseed Crops & Medicinal Plants, Microalgal fuels etc. Since 2008, he is working as Associate Professor in Biotechnology and also holds additional responsibilities of Associate Head, Biotechnology (since September 2015), Program Coordinator of M. Tech Biotechnology (since 2010) and Member Secretary of Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBSC) approved by DBT. He is an IUCEE certified Faculty Trainer on “Effective Teaching” and has received training in Soft Skills by Infosys. He has conducted many Workshops/Seminars and has delivered several invited talks. He was a Visiting Scientist to CSIRO Plant Industry, Canberra, Australia under World Bank sponsorship (TEQIP-II). Ramgopal is a Hindustani senior grade qualified Tabla Player & Singer. He has performed several times on Doordarshan & AIR and has given hundreds of stage shows. Ramgopal loves to reads books & watch TV In his leisure time.
Associate Professor, Dept of BT
Dr. G.P.L.Jayasree has obtained her Ph.D. degree from Osmania University, in 2005 and Advanced Diploma in Bioinformatics from O.U. in 2004. She qualified UGC-NET in the year 1997.She has an experience of 22 years in teaching and research.
She has published 20 international journal papers in reputed journals indexed in Elsevier, Springer, Scopus and Pub Med. She also has 18 international and national publications in proceedings including Invited talks, oral presentations and poster presentations in Conferences and Symposia organized by National University of Singapore, A.P.Science Congress, IIT Madras, IISc Bangalore, CDAC Pune, IIIT Hyd, CCMB Hyd, HCU Hyd, JNTU Hyd and several other affiliated colleges of OU and JNTU.
Presently she is actively involved in research in the area of homology modeling, drug designing and docking studies. She is presently guiding Ph.D. scholars, M Tech and B Tech projects. She has been a resource person for several DBT, UGC and TEQIP sponsored workshops in the field of Bioinformatics. She has undergone professional training in various bioinformatics software’s like TRIPOS-SYBYL, CCDC –GOLD, SCHRODINGER, ACCELRYS DISCOVERY STUDIO, MODELLER and PHYLIP to mention a few.
Dr. Y. Rajasri
Associate Professor, Dept of BT.
Dr. Rajasri Yadavalli did her B. Tech (Chemical Engineering) from Bapatla Engineering College, Nagarjuna University in 2002, M.Tech in Chemical Engineering from SV University campus, Tirupati, India, in 2005 and Ph.D. in Biotechnology from JNTUH, Hyderabad in 2016.Dr. Rajasri Y has completed PG Diploma in Patents law with A+ grade from NALSAR Law University, Hyderabad in the year 2015. She has won Young Engineer Award 2013-14 in Chemical Engineering discipline from Institute of Engineers, India
She has 09 research publications in Peer Reviewed International Journals. She received a travel Grant by UGC, Government of India of worth Rs 2 lakhs for research paper presentation on "Integrated approach for treating dairy effluent using Chlorella pyrenoidosa and energy-efficient production of biomass in an internally illuminated bubble column photobioreactor" at the 4th International Conference on Algal Biomass, Biofuels and Bioproducts-2014, held at Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States of America organized by Elsevier Inc .from June 15th-18th 2014.
Dr. Rajasri has recently secured a research project from Department of Biotechnology; Government of India on “Microalgal Biomass Production in Energy Efficient Internally Illuminated Bubble Column Photobioreactor (IIBCPBR) For Biodiesel Production” worth Rs 31.42 lakhs. She is having 12 years of experience in teaching and research. She taught various subjects like Instrumentation and Bioprocess control, Bioprocess Engineering, Momentum and Heat Transfer, Downstream processing, Thermodynamics for Biotechnologists. Her research interests are Bioprocess Engineering, Algal Biofuels, Bioreactors design and Alternative energy sources.
Dr. P. Ravindra Babu
Associate Professor, Dept of BT.
Dr. Ravindra Babu Potti, Associate Professor was awarded Ph. D from Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. Dr. Potti has 15 years of experience in Teaching and Research. His area of expertise is Environmental Biotechnology & Animal cell culture. Presently, he is guiding seven scholars for Doctoral Program associated with JNTUH. He has authored 15 peer reviewed Journal publications, two book chapters and 25 conference presentations and reviewer of many national and international journals. He has one patent citation “Process for Preparing a chemically modified Fibrin- Fibrillar Protein (FFP) Composite Sheet.” Pub No.: US 2004/0124564A1, Pub. Date: Jul, 2004. He is one among the Board of Directors in Virocan Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd having DIN No: 05247832. He is one of the Expert Member in Institutional Biosafety Committee of SNIST nominated by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India.
He was invited as a speaker at various National conferences organized by Engineering Staff College of India (ESCI), Dr. Marri Channa Reddy Human Resource Development Institute of Andhra Pradesh (MCR HRD), Environmental Protection Training and Research Institute (EPTRI) and International conferences like BIOASIA etc. He has received many awards in his professional career such as National Children scientist Award by Sankalp, New Delhi, received from Chief Minister, Mrs. Sheila Dixit, New Delhi, CSIR - Senior Research Fellow, Gujarat Forest Department Research Fellowship, Best Research paper award at Bharathidasan Institute of Technology, trichy in 2015 and recipient of the best teacher award constituted by SNIST.
Dr. Bishwambhar Mishra
Associate Professor, Dept of BT.
Dr. Bishwambhar Mishra had completed his B.Tech (Biotechnology) in 2010 and Integrated Ph.D. (Biotechnology) in 2014 from VIT University, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India. He had started his professional carrier as Assistant Professor in the Department of Biotechnology, SNIST, Hyderabad in August, 2014. Prior to that he was working as Research Associate in VIT University, Vellore for 4 years.
His research focuses on Industrial Biotechnology, Food microbiology, Fermentation Technology and Bioprocess Technology. The major aims of his research are to develop the processes for the production and purification of industrial enzymes & microbial exopolysaccharides and their applications in food & fermentation industry. He had published total 24 papers (10 National; 14 International) in peer reviewed Journals. He had published 5 DNA Sequences in the NCBI/GenBank Database. He is one of the Recipients of Gandhian Young Innovative Technological Award (National Award) in the year of 2013 at IIM-Ahmedabad organised by Techpedia and SRISTI.